The Original Courthouse: The Rutherford County Courthouse, 1812-1823
In 1811, Murfreesboro became the county seat of Rutherford County. In order to conduct county business, a courthouse was needed. In 1812, Murfreesboro's first courthouse was built. Unfortunately, it burned in 1822. Before becoming the county seat, legend has it that Murfreesboro was named Cannonsburgh in honor of Newton Cannon from neighboring Williamson County. Cannon represented Rutherford County, as well as Williamson, in the General Assembly of Tennessee and later became governor.
1. Heritage Center of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County, "One of Tennessee's Six Remaining Antebellum Courthouses. Rutherford County Courthouse" (Murfreesboro, TN: circa 2000). Mabel Pittard, Rutherford County (Memphis: Memphis State University Press, 1984), 27.